Here’s a top 10 list that I created in my SMASH book:
1. Play! In my creative making, I enjoy doing this through experimenting with new art materials, techniques, and programs…. I think most of what I have discovered I love has been through trial & error and having fun with the process!
2. Connect with your passion and what inspires you. For me, being creative is lots more fun when I feel a connection! I try and discover new or re-connect with existing inspirations and motivations that will help cultivate these creative connections on an emotional level.
3. Start over. Starting over, from scratch, going back to the “drawing board” or beginning again and again often brings new discoveries for me!
4. Practice random acts of creative kindness. It’s fun to create stuff for others- either for something special or for no reason at all!
5. Take pictures. Of people, places, & things!! I especially enjoy checking out my Instagram feed to see images of what creative friends & colleagues are currently working on in the moment, new projects, daily intentions, or for inspiration.
6. Make time and space. Physical, emotional, and virtual at home, work, and on the go.
7. Enjoy breaks. Enjoying the breaks I take are important to keep my creative flow going.
8. Create with others & collaborate. Sharing ideas, working on projects, and inspiring one another. I like being able to take some time for an art making meet up or gathering with friends.
9. Try new ideas and things. Art materials, music, places, experiences, and more that help me grow.
10. Keep a journal. Art journaling, gluebooking, smashing & stashing for list making, collaging, note taking, visioning, imagining, and more!
On my SMASH book spread I also included some of the things I currently enjoy creating and have inspired much activity in my recent creative life!
If you haven’t seen the 29 Ways to Stay Creative video out there, take a look- it’s one of my favorites!