This list was inspired by Josh S. Peters’ blog post, 10 Internet Related Things I’m Thankful For. I thought it was a great idea for a geek like me and wanted to spread the e-gratitude love on this Thanksgiving Eve. Here’s my top 8 for what I’m thankful for related to my Internet life this year:
1. Facebook– Despite my reluctance to join the world of Facebook, I am really thankful for all the connection it has brought me throughout this year. Through Facebook I have been able to stay in touch with many people I haven’t seen in years and its been a great opportunity to meet new individuals as well. A lot of my Facebook activity is devoted to sharing art therapy and resources for the Art Therapy Alliance Fan Page
2. LinkedIn- I am thankful for the professional contacts and connections I’ve made through this professional networking site. It is also the main hub for the Art Therapy Alliance, where art therapists, art therapy students, and interested professionals can discuss and exchange ideas related to art therapy. This year the Art Therapy Alliance on LinkedIn grew to several subgroups of different art therapy topics.
3. Twitter- This year I started tweeting and following many interesting and inspiring people and sources related to art therapy, social media, art, and technology. I have much appreciation for the news links, twit pics, quotes, and spontaneous commentary that educate and inspire the geek, artist, and art therapist me. Thanks to all who have RT’d my content and help spread my tweeting! Like Josh Peters, I am also thankful for TweetDeck for helping to make my Twitter life a little easier!
4. WordPress- I also started using WordPress for blogging this year and love this platform! Thank you WordPress! And to everyone who has visited Creativity in Motion, read a post, made a comment or recommended it to others throughout the year…. I am thankful for everyone’s input, encouragement and support!
5. Polyvore- I LOVE POLYVORE! This site has been an addicting digital art making obsession since I stumbled upon it a few months ago. Something that’s more fun than creating your own sets is seeing what sets have been made by others! Inspired by this platform was the Art. Peace. Sustainability Interactive Event and where images connected to these concepts have been created and shared within the Art Therapy Alliance community. Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far to this collection!
6. Homestead– My web management and design life would probably not be as easy without Homestead. I’ve used this hosting site for over a decade and use it for several websites I have created and update weekly, sometimes daily. Homestead has always had everything I need, makes web design a no-brainer, and super dependable.
7. Animoto- Another great find I discovered this year through a LinkedIn connection was the video making site Animoto. It’s been a favorite place for me to go to make quick, cool videos and share via Facebook or export to YouTube. I think in 2010 I’ll finally be upgrading to the $30 unlimited pass for making all the full feature films I want!
8. Artsonia– I’m really thankful for this cool gallery that features children’s art from all around the world. Artsonia allows me to check out my niece’s art she’s made in school, which is always a delight and makes me smile!
There are other internet things that I could also include such as SlideShare, Skype, Flickr, and Youtube as honorable mentions. It’s been a good year for my social media life on the grid- personally and professionally. I appreciate all the wonderful, creative, and meaningful connection and collaboration that I have experienced and look forward to more!